Showing posts with label starts. Show all posts
Showing posts with label starts. Show all posts

Monday, 9 September 2013

Wall Street Beat: Tech starts off season on mildly upbeat note

With the Labor Day holiday marking the unofficial end of summer on the markets, tech stocks got off to a fairly positive start in the new season as several major deals and the mobile phone market came under especially intense scrutiny.

Major exchanges and market indexes were mixed Friday in the wake of a tepid government jobs report. The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed at 14,922.50, down by 14.98 points, while the Standard and Poor’s 500 index and the tech-heavy Nasdaq both closed up slightly higher for the day.

The Dow, the S&P and the Nasdaq were all in positive territory for the week, however. The Nasdaq Computer Index of more than 100 tech-related stocks closed Friday at 1755.4, up by 3.82 for the day and also in positive territory for the week.

Tech stocks were among the most heavily traded shares Friday, with Microsoft and Nokia in the top five volume leaders of the day. This is not surprising, given the announcement Tuesday that Microsoft will buy the Finnish company’s mobile phone business. Microsoft will pay €3.79 billion (US$5 billion) for Nokia’s Devices & Services business and €1.65 billion to license Nokia’s patents.

Some analysts said that the deal is a necessary risk for Microsoft, which counts Nokia as its only major ally in the mobile OS battle against Google’s Android and Apple iOS. Microsoft’s mobile OS market share number is foundering in the single digits, and it may need the acquisition to assure that a major manufacturer will continue to produce Windows-based phones.

But the market appears to be sour on the deal, which pairs two tech giants that are so far on the losing side in the mobile market. Nokia shares, which at first jumped on the news, closed Friday at $5.37, down by $0.12. Microsoft shares dropped $1.55 on the news Tuesday, closing at $31.20, and drifted down during the week to end up at $31.15.

Many parts of Microsoft’s broad product portfolio are doing well, but it’s not a stretch to say that future success rests in large part on how well it does in the mobile market. “Never have as many mobile phones been sold worldwide as in the first half of 2013,” according to a report from market research firm GfK this week.

“In the period January to June 2013, global demand for smartphones rose by 66 percent compared with the same period in the previous year,” the report said. “Of all mobile end devices sold, 59 percent are smartphones.”

Meanwhile, erstwhile smartphone leader BlackBerry wants to proceed as quickly as possible with a plan to sell the company in an auction process that could end by November, according to a story in The Wall Street Journal that cited sources close to the company. The company announced in August that it had formed a committee to explore “strategic alternatives.”

BlackBerry has failed to meet the challenge posed by Android devices and the iPhone, and recent analyst reports indicate that the handset maker’s 2013 products are not gaining much traction.

“Our global surveys indicate very weak Z10, Q10, and Q5 sales along with sharply declining legacy BB7 sales,” said Canaccord Genuity analyst Michael Walkley in a research note this week.

“We believe the special committee formed by BlackBerry’s board to explore strategic alternatives such as joint ventures, strategic partnerships, or a sale of BlackBerry is consistent with our belief BlackBerry will ultimately end up selling the company due to the difficult competitive smartphone market and low probability BlackBerry 10 can return BlackBerry to sustained profitability,” Walkley noted.

In another major deal this week, Verizon Communications said it reached an agreement to acquire for $130 billion Vodafone Group’s 45 percent stake in its Verizon Wireless subsidiary. The deal calls for Verizon to take 100 percent ownership of the wireless unit, the largest mobile operator in the U.S. The company said the deal will allow it to offer “seamless and integrated services.”

“Verizon will now fully control what we feel is one of the best wireless assets in the world,” said Canaccord Genuity analyst Greg Miller. Nevertheless, perhaps concerned about the dilutive effect of the giant acquisition on Verizon’s financials, investors dumped shares. Verizon shares closed Tuesday, the day after the deal was announced, at $46.01, down by $1.37, and ended the week at $46.34, regaining only some of the value it lost.

The market’s mixed close at the end of the week may have been due more to geopolitical and macroeconomic issues than any particular deal announced during the week. Though stocks recovered somewhat during the day, a weak opening to trading was ascribed to fears about the Syrian conflict, and how involved the U.S. may get. The so-so jobs report was a mixed blessing.

Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 169,000 in August, but the unemployment rate was little changed at 7.3 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday.

“Bottom line: The momentum in the labor market is uneven at best,” wrote Sterne Agee chief economist Lindsey Piegza in a research note Friday. “While headline job creation remains positive it is a far cry from robust, sustainable levels of growth suggesting a near-term draw down of available labor. “

Some market watchers see this as a positive thing, because uneven growth may induce the U.S. Federal Reserve to continue its policy of propping up the stock market by buying bonds. “From the Fed’s standpoint, tapering plans were predicated on the economy, specifically the labor market, showing confirmed improvement. This morning’s employment report gave no such confirmation,” noted Piegza.

Tech vendors will not start reporting quarterly earnings for a while, so IT-related stocks may be at the mercy of such macro trends for the near term.


View the original article here

Saturday, 31 August 2013

Samsung starts mass production of DDR4 memories

Service Desk Comparative ReportGartner's recent magic quadrant for IT Service Support Management included no vendors as leaders or innovators. Learn why and how ITinvolve is delivering an innovative service desk solution that empowers IT staff through social collaboration and visualization to improve incident analysis and triage to speed incident resolution time.

Read now »

View the original article here

Thursday, 29 August 2013

IBM starts restricting hardware patches to paying customers

Following through on a policy change announced in 2012, IBM has started restricting availability of hardware patches to paying customers, spurring at least one advocacy group to accuse the company of anticompetitive practices.

IBM "is getting to the spot where the customer has no choice but to buy an IBM maintenance agreement, or lose access to patches and changes," said Gay Gordon-Byrne, executive director of the DRTR (Digital Right to Repair), a coalition for championing the rights of digital equipment owners.

[ For a quick, smart take on the news you'll be talking about, check out InfoWorld TechBrief -- subscribe today. ]

Such a practice could dampen the market for support service of IBM equipment from non-IBM contractors, and could diminish the resale value of IBM equipment, DRTR charged.

On Aug. 11, IBM began requiring visitors of the IBM Fix Central website to provide a serial number in order to download a patch or update. According to DRTR, IBM uses the serial number to check to see if the machine being repaired was under a current IBM maintenance contract, or under an IBM hardware warranty.

"IBM will take the serial number, validate it against its maintenance contract database, and allow [user ] to proceed or not," Gordon-Byrne explained.

Traditionally, IBM has freely provided machine code patches and updates as a matter of quality control, Gordon-Byrne said. The company left it to the owner to decide how to maintain the equipment, either through the help of IBM, a third-party service-provider, or by itself.

This benevolent practice is starting to change, according to DRTR.

In April 2012, IBM started requiring customers to sign a license in order to access machine code updates. Then, in October of that year, the company announced that machine code updates would only be available for those customers with IBM equipment that was either under warranty or covered by an IBM maintenance agreement.

"Fix Central downloads are available only for IBM clients with hardware or software under warranty, maintenance contracts, or subscription and support," stated the Fix Central site documentation.

Nor would IBM offer the fixes on a time-and-material contract, in which customers can go through a special bid process to buy annual access to machine code.

The company didn't immediately start enforcing this entitlement comparison policy however -- until earlier this month. "Until August, it didn't appear that IBM had the capability," Gordon-Byrne said. "We were wondering when they were going to do that step."

The policy seems to apply to all IBM mainframes, servers and storage systems, with IBM X system servers being one known exception. Customer complaints forced IBM to halt the practice for X servers, according to Gordon-Byrne.

This practice is problematic to IBM customers for a number of reasons, DRTR asserted.

Such a practice limits the resale of hardware, because any prospective owner of used equipment would have to purchase a support contract from IBM if it wanted its newly acquired machine updated.

And this could be expensive. IBM also announced last year it would start charging a "re-establishment fee" for equipment owners wishing to sign a new maintenance contract for equipment with lapsed IBM support coverage. The fee could be as high as 150 percent of the yearly maintenance fee itself, according to DRTR.

IBM could also use the maintenance contracts as a way to generate more sales.


View the original article here

IBM starts restricting hardware patches to paying customers

Following through on a policy change announced in 2012, IBM has started restricting availability of hardware patches to paying customers, spurring at least one advocacy group to accuse the company of anticompetitive practices.

IBM “is getting to the spot where the customer has no choice but to buy an IBM maintenance agreement or lose access to patches and changes,” said Gay Gordon-Byrne, executive director of the Digital Right to Repair (DRTR), a coalition for championing the rights of digital equipment owners.

Such a practice could dampen the market for support service of IBM equipment from non-IBM contractors, and could diminish the resale value of IBM equipment, DRTR charged.

On Aug. 11, IBM began requiring visitors of the IBM Fix Central website to provide a serial number in order to download a patch or update. According to DRTR, IBM uses the serial number to check to see if the machine being repaired was under a current IBM maintenance contract, or under an IBM hardware warranty.

“IBM will take the serial number, validate it against its maintenance contract database, and allow [user ] to proceed or not,” Gordon-Byrne explained.

Traditionally, IBM has freely provided machine code patches and updates as a matter of quality control, Gordon-Byrne said. The company left it to the owner to decide how to maintain the equipment, either through the help of IBM, a third-party service-provider, or by itself.

This benevolent practice is starting to change, according to DRTR.

In April 2012, IBM started requiring customers to sign a license in order to access machine code updates. Then, in October of that year, the company announced that machine code updates would only be available for those customers with IBM equipment that was either under warranty or covered by an IBM maintenance agreement.

“Fix Central downloads are available only for IBM clients with hardware or software under warranty, maintenance contracts, or subscription and support,” stated the Fix Central site documentation.

Nor would IBM offer the fixes on a time-and-material contract, in which customers can go through a special bid process to buy annual access to machine code.

The company didn’t immediately start enforcing this entitlement comparison policy however—until earlier this month. “Until August, it didn’t appear that IBM had the capability,” Gordon-Byrne said. “We were wondering when they were going to do that step.”

The policy seems to apply to all IBM mainframes, servers, and storage systems, with IBM X system servers being one known exception. Customer complaints forced IBM to halt the practice for X servers, according to Gordon-Byrne.

This practice is problematic to IBM customers for a number of reasons, DRTR asserted.

Such a practice limits the resale of hardware, because any prospective owner of used equipment would have to purchase a support contract from IBM if it wanted its newly acquired machine updated.

And this could be expensive. IBM also announced last year it would start charging a “re-establishment fee” for equipment owners wishing to sign a new maintenance contract for equipment with lapsed IBM support coverage. The fee could be as high as 150 percent of the yearly maintenance fee itself, according to DRTR.

IBM could also use the maintenance contracts as a way to generate more sales.

“If IBM decides it wants to jack the maintenance price in order to make a new machine sale, they can do it because there is no competition,” Gordon-Byrne said.

IBM is not the first major hardware firm to use this tactic to generate more after-market sales, according to Gordon-Byrne. Oracle adopted a similar practice for its servers after it acquired Sun Microsystems, and its considerable line of hardware, in 2010.

The Service Industry Association—which focuses on helping the computer, medical and business products service industries— created DRTR in January 2013 to fight against encroaching after-market control of hardware manufacturers. The SIA itself protested Oracle’s move away from free patches as well.

DRTR is actively tracking a number of similar cases involving after-market control of hardware, such as an Avaya antitrust trial due to start Sept. 9 in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.

IBM declined to comment for this story.

Joab Jackson covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for the IDG News Service.
More by Joab Jackson


View the original article here

Thursday, 22 August 2013

With worker retirements looming, IT starts to prepare for a workforce exodus

With 10,000 U.S. baby boomers turning 65 every day until 2030, the IT industry is among those that must plan how its workforce will be impacted when these employees eventually retire.

While the tech industry emphasizes the new, legacy system skills are still valued since some companies run critical systems on dated technologies. Even when firms migrate to current IT, workers with older skills are needed to help with the transition and IT professionals who love their industry may want to keeping working after 65, but not necessarily full time.

Companies keen on retaining veteran workers, and their knowledge, are initiating retirement conversations early to increase the likelihood that these employees will stay on in some capacity after they stop working full time, said Matthew Ripaldi, senior vice president at IT staffing firm Modis.

Businesses need to develop a structured plan that explains to employees “how do we retain you because you’re so valuable but at the same time give you the flexibility you need,” he said.

This flexibility can take the form of contract work, which allows employees to stay engaged with IT while allowing them to create their schedule, Ripaldi said.

“The thing about technologists is they love what they do,” he said. “They’re constantly driven by newer technologies. So that means that they want to stay involved somehow. They just may not want to stay involved full time.”

The contractor ratio, already high in tech, will continue to increase as companies allow retiring staff to work part-time hours or hire them for short-term projects, said Ripaldi. Mentoring programs will also expand as these contractors impart legacy system information to younger employees who will be expected to link the new technologies they use to the older applications they’re learning.

“If there’s an upgrade, if there is a new technology, it will be more effective if they understand how the legacy technology works and how their end users were using it,” he said.

The benefits of new technologies may drive companies to phase out legacy systems and replace them with modern platforms, another situation where retirees could serve as consultants to help with the transition, said John Engates, CTO of cloud hosting company Rackspace.

Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Outlook.com and Skype integration starts to roll out

Microsoft has integrated Outlook.com with Skype in several countries, including the U.K., the U.S. and Germany, offering users the ability to tap Skype functions and contacts from within the interface of the webmail application.

The link between the two products lets Outlook.com users do Skype video chats, audio calling and instant messaging. Other countries where this is now available are Brazil, France and Canada. Microsoft plans to offer this integration worldwide “in the near future,” Microsoft said in a blog post on Monday.

Microsoft is pursuing this integration because email exchanges are often escalated to audio and video communications, so bridging the interface gap between Outlook.com and Skype makes sense, the company said.

“Email is an important and personal tool for most people, but there are moments when you want to be able to speak live or chat face-to-face,” wrote Dawn Martynuik, group product manager of Outlook.com, in the blog post.

Ironically, Outlook.com already has links with Facebook, Google, LinkedIn and Twitter.

Outlook.com hit a rough patch last week, when it malfunctioned in various ways for an undisclosed number of users between Wednesday and Sunday. The glitches impacted mobile access to the inbox and the ability to share SkyDrive files via email.

Outlook.com has had other stability, availability and performance problems in recent months, including a high-profile outage in mid-March.

Microsoft launched a preview of Outlook.com in July 2012, billing it as a reinvention of webmail from the user interface to the back end designed to let the company better compete against Gmail and Yahoo Mail. Outlook.com eventually replaced Hotmail as the company’s webmail service.

Last month, Microsoft celebrated Outlook.com’s 1-year anniversary, rattling off a long list of positives, but also acknowledging that the service hasn’t been as stable as expected.

“We had some bumps over the last year and there were places where our performance hasn’t met the high standard we set for ourselves,” Dick Craddock, group program manager of Outlook.com, wrote in that blog post, published on July 31.

Juan Carlos Perez covers e-commerce, Google, web-application development, and cloud applications for the IDG News Service.
More by Juan Carlos Perez


View the original article here